Monday, June 29, 2009

Thing #1 Registration & Reflection on Video

We have a lot of work to do! If this is the student, teacher, and classroom of the future then our school/district/state had better get moving!

I am not sure I am a supporter of this type of learning in every classroom. Just like anything else, you need some variety. Not all students will be able to learn like this and we want to meet the needs of all students.

Student - I can see a student loving this type of classroom - using technology, social connections, self-creativity, etc. to learn. The main drawback I can see is that it will take quite a bit of student effort and initiative. For some, this won't be a problem, but not all are self-starters or are highly motivated. (Working at an at-risk school is certainly where many of these type students are!) I, too, am not what I would call creative and could see myself having trouble in this type of learning environment. The teacher would need to be highly trained to enable this type of classroom setting.

Teacher - We as teachers or librarians would need MUCH training - how to set up a classroom such as this, how to guide students along, how to find proper social connections for the content, and more that I cannot even fathom. Where would this training come from?
The old fashioned teacher would have to be totally transformed - and I don't know if this is possible. Districts need to be recruiting teachers based on criteria that would be conducive to this type of classroom.

Technology Needs - This would take quite a bit of technology for each classroom. Best of all would be laptops for each student. There would be much money needed for districts to evolve into this type of classroom. I don't see it happening in the next five years.

1 comment:

S.Malget said...

I primarily agree with your assessment that MOST students would love this type of learning. However, when you have un-motivated students, this would not work at all. Two huge drawback to this is the $$$$$ for all of the technology needed for students, and the training teachers would need. Not to mention technical support for the technology, but help with the web, library, and various other resources.

Since many of my elementary students at my at-risk school are working to become bi-lingual, language also becomes a big issue.

Bottom line: I can see some teachers using this for a limited project, but not for full-time teaching- at least in elementary.

Good Luck!!!
S.Malget
Librarian-n-Mom