Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Thing 20

I began with looking for book trailers on YouTube . I had seen some in another blog and thought I would see if I could find any of interest. It would be a different method of getting kids excited about reading. Here is the one on Airman. Ioin Colfer's latest book that I just loved! (more so than his Artemis Fowl books...) I thought it was short and sweet. Some of the ones I looked at were way too long. One to two minutes is about the right length. It is too bad our school district blocks this site.



I had trouble with the TeacherTube videos. They were impossible to watch as they kept buffering every 5 seconds. I am using a wireless connection, so maybe that is the problem. I wouldn't want to use this site if this is a frequent occurence! Did any of you all have difficulty with the videos as well?
I did find a couple that looked promising, but like I said I couldn't finish them. One was a librarian along with teachers talking about how Literature Circles work. It was long - about 30 minutes. Another I looked at was a library tour. Sort of like a virtual tour of a library...

2 comments:

Grendel said...

I liked the trailer you showed. I certainly want to read the book now!

Katy Manck, MLS said...

I am on a Verizon Aircard (like cellphone for computer) and didn't have as much problem with buffering as I do at home on DSL! It may just be the time of day, or perhaps the luck of the draw, or maybe sunspots... yeah, let's just blame it on sunspots!

Shorter bookblurbs (30-45 sec) that could be run on continuous loop might be an intriguing way to engage students who might not just pick up a book to read its cover blurb.