Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing #6 I Touch Apps

This one was EASY! I have had an I Touch for the library since this past spring. I wanted to go ahead and get one to play and experience it. I was loaning it out to students at the end of the last school year just to see what they liked to do with it. Of course what they wanted to do it play games, but don't they have valuable skills associated with them???
Here are some of the educational apps I have downloaded that I think have potential for core classes to use in centers.

Dictionary - great because it also gives pronunciation of word
Hangman - can choose levels of difficulty and also themes for the words
USA Factbook - has info on all sorts of US facts and questions you on state capitals & locations
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - I forked over some cash to upgrade from the "lite" version,
Love Art - takes you through the National Gallery of Art; beautiful pictures
TCT Lite - a periodic table website

Also I need to purchase a voice recorded so kids can do podcasts. I hear there is a Thumb Tack that will work for about $13. I also want to see what I need to do to get my ITouch to Skype. There is something tricky with the microphone. Target used to sell something that would work inexpensively, but it doesn't appear to be available anymore. There other alternatives are more in the $30 range...

I love the I Touch! It does have many possibilities! I do wish it took pictures - that would make it more useful.

2 comments:

Teacher Mommy said...

I think "does it take pictures" is one of the first questions I asked!

Andrea said...

I also would love to see our teachers get their feet wet with recording some podcasts--ie. last minute test hints, mini lessons, etc.

Maybe we could all pick a mini lesson and try some after school pro development....