Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Thing 11

I spent about an hour discovering Library Thing. I guess I am not much into social networking. I looked at some of the groups and even joined one - Read YA Lit, but it didn't make much sense to me. Unless I am mistaken, the posts are in reverse order. You have to scroll all the way to the bottom to see the most current post. Also, this particular group is supposed to be a monthly book discussion, but I could figure out what books they were reading and when. Oh well... Maybe there just isn't that much action in this particular group.

I did create a personal library and rated the books I added. Adding books was super easy. These were books I just finished reading, so I was interested in their reviews. I am not sure I would ever use Library Thing. Maybe if I was looking for recommendations for good reading. But even at that, I don't know if I would use this site. I'd rather look at library journals or check out the blogs of those that have given me good book recommendations in the past.

I am getting the feeling more and more as 23 Things progresses that people spend WAY too much time on the computer!

6 comments:

Grendel said...

I would love to see your bookshelf! I have really enjoyed seeing what other people read. Please share!

L'l Bit said...

The last 3 books I have read that I added to Library Thing were:
Garden Spells
The House at Riverton
Lost Souls
The first two were quite good. Lost Souls was just so so...

Cooking Librarian said...

I completely agree with your comment that as 23 Things progresses, you get the feeling that people spend way too much time on their computers. Right now I have 250 new as yet unread things on my Google Reader. I can't imagine myself ever keeping up with all the blogs that I have linked to. I already participate in three listservs and can't keep up. Does anyone have any suggestions on handling all of these "connections"?

Turtletracs said...

I agree with you about some of the talking on Library Thing. Many were kindof like jumping in the middle of some's conversation. I think it would be fun to get a group of people you know to read and post.Then others could join your's.

Katy Manck, MLS said...

L'l Bit, I agree with you and Cooking Librarian that some people 'spend WAY too much time on the computer!'

That sure includes me! But I am trying to prioritize, unsubscribing to some blogs on my GoogleReader that are too prolific or too boring or whatever; bookmarking LibraryThing and some other new sites as 'investigate further' for later on; and using the heck out of new tools found through Library23Things, like GoogleNotebooks to keep track of sites and notes during all the switching between computers that I do.

I subscribe to my listservs in Digest format so there's less incoming traffic - makes it seem more manageable.

Mrs. Meuse said...

I wondered the same thing about the release of Inkheart, the movie. They also pushed back the release date for the book, quite a bit. I just preordered Inkdeath; it's set to come out in October.