Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thing 13

I did most of my social bookmarking research in del.icio.us . I set up an account, but I had a heck of a time installing the buttons. I had to do it four times before I could get it right. The trick was to not Run the program, but to Save it first. For some reason, the file couldn't be found in the Temp. Folder for the run option.
I added a few bookmarks to my account using the buttons and tags. It was super easy.
I can see this being quite useful if you move locations a lot and use multiple computers. This is what our students do at school, so it certainly would be beneficial to them.
Since I use mostly one computer, I don't know if I will utilize this social bookmarking account much. Maybe, I will just have to play with it a little. It does make it easy with the buttons on the toolbar...
Oh, and I did like the feature in Furl to make a bookmark private. So, in looking in the settings menu I see where you can make that an option in del.icio.us as well. Maybe there are some sites you don't want to share for some reason...

1 comment:

Grendel said...

Sometimes I couldn't see an immediate use for a tool,either, but that was mostly because I didn't know the tool well enough! The more I used it, the more applications I could find for it. It also helped me to read other blogs beause our players have lots of really good ideas and someone always thinks of something I have missed! :)